The windmills of Mykonos are undoubtedly the trademark of the island and one of the most photographed sights.
The existence of windmills is a story that begins in the 15th century and shows the desire of the residents to harness the power of the air that Mykonos always had. Between the 17th and 19th century over 25 mills were built which contributed decisively to economic growth. The intensive use not only met the needs of local cereals but also supplied shipments of rusks to the passing ships and also to the surrounding islands, whose inhabitants were arriving by boat for milling wheat. The constructions consist of three floor, all white, cylindrical stone buildings. The roof with its distinctive conical shape could be rotated depending on the wind direction. Their use during the First World War was limited and slowly eliminated due to technological advancement.
Today the most obvious place to see these wonderful constructions is the Lower Mills area in the town of Mykonos (Chora). They are located on a hill beside the sea, in the Castle district of Chora and close to the "Little Venice". Their imposing volume combined with the beautiful scenery of the island cause the admiration of the tourists who visit them fanatically.
|Tourlos (Port)||3,6 km|
|Ano Mera||7,8 km|
Health - Fitness
Brands & Luxury
Like Us On Facebook
P.O. BOX 1822
190-03, Mesogaia Port
© 2016 Ploutarchos Chiou. All Rights Reserved.