Panagia Tourliani (Virgin Mary Tourliani) is located in the village of Ano Mera and is the protector of the island.
The origin of the name Tourliani has two versions. According to the first, the name came from Tourlos (the area where the new port is located) and at that place was found floating the miraculous church icon of the Virgin Mary, painted by Evangelist Luke. According to the second version, the name came from the nun Tourlis who was serving in the temple. In the monastery pre-existed a small temple dedicated to the Virgin Mary, but in 1537 two monks from the island of Paros, in order to protect themselves from the terrible pirate Barbarossa arrived to the point and started building cells. By 1542 the new church was formed. In 1662 the monastery was plundered by pirates and eventually the monastery was restored fully in 1767 (the renovation lasted 10 years) in the time of Abbot Ignatius Basoula who is considered a great benefactor of the monastery. Shortly afterwards, in 1775, the famous wooden temple was built stretching 10 meters long by Italian artisans.
The monastery is a reference point for Mykonos, which offered its help whenever needed such as the beginning of the 20th century were it served as a nursing home and orphanage.
|Tourlos (Port)||8,6 km|
|Era||16th century A.C.|
Health - Fitness
Brands & Luxury
Like Us On Facebook
P.O. BOX 1822
190-03, Mesogaia Port
© 2016 Ploutarchos Chiou. All Rights Reserved.